What’s the best way to prepare your meals? Drum smokers are frequently regarded as one of the most successful in producing excellent results with less effort than other types of charcoal smokers.
Drum smokers are ideal for smoking a wide range of meats, including ribs, brisket, and chicken. They have a large capacity and a faster cooking time than most other smokers.
Some people have had a lot of success cooking hot and quickly in a drum, which can cook a whole packer brisket in just two hours! Please continue reading to learn why we believe it’s the most acceptable option for most individuals, as well as what additional choices you might want to explore.
Why Choose a Drum Smoker
Drum smokers are one of the best choices for new users and experts alike. They produce excellent results with a lot less effort than most other types of a charcoal smoker, and they can easily be used by everyone from beginners to barbecue veterans!
They’re great for cooking almost anything, especially things that are usually harder to get right, like ribs or brisket. When you do beef, it’s best if the meat is fatty because this will help keep everything moist and delicious!
How does a drum smoker work
Drum smokers work by using the same principles as most other charcoal-based smokers. It has a firebox with an adjustable amount of airflow and vents that you can use to control how much smoky flavor your food gets.
The main difference is in the drum itself, making it so easy for anyone to get delicious results! There’s a lot of space inside, making it possible to fit food for many people at once. It means that you can cook an entire packer brisket without having to cut it in half or turn the meat!
Instead, all you need is patience and time, as well as some good-quality wood chips if you want your food to have a smoky flavor.
Other types of smokers may take a lot more supervision and fiddling to get great results, but with the best drum smoker, you can leave it alone until your food is ready! It’s nearly impossible to burn anything inside, even if you’re cooking at high temperatures for an extended period.
Best Drum Smoker Reviews
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is slightly smaller measuring 21 x 19 x 41 inches, and it offers 481 square inches of cooking space. This 47lb model is made from durable steel; hence it will last for many barbecue sessions.
In addition, the model was given a porcelain enamel finish to help maintain internal heat and resist scratches or too much heat damage.
- Power Source: Charcoal
- Color: Black
- Item Weight: 39.1 Pounds
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 21 x 19 x 41 inches
- Fuel Type: Charcoal
- Cooking area: 481 sq. in
- Weight: 47 lbs
- Warranty: 10/ 5/ 2-year limited
- It has a solid construction, and the chrome-plated lid adds to its durability
- You can control the air vents easily for proper heat management
- There is plenty of room on the grill surface, even with significant cuts like whole turkey legs or pork shoulders
- Weber offers excellent customer service should you encounter problems with your unit
- It’s easy to assemble, and you can be cooking in little time
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is easy to use, and it’s great for beginners and experts.
With plenty of room, even on the small model, this unit will make an excellent choice for anyone looking for a smoker that can cook everything from ribs to briskets.
In addition, the control valves are easily accessible, making temperature management easier than most other models.
This Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Pro Drum Smoker is made in the USA. It comes with a lifetime warranty against any defects.
This unit has three adjustable heat vents, along with two water pans to help keep the meat moist and flavorful while promoting even cooking throughout the entire cut.
- Fuel type: charcoal
- Cooking area: 366 sq. in
- Hopper capacity: 17 lbs
- Dimensions: 40 x 28.8 x 48 in
- Weight: 178 lbs
- Warranty: 2-year limited
- The unit is quite easy to clean, and the door has a removable ashtray
- You can adjust three heat vents easily for proper temperature control
- It’s very sturdy, especially considering that it weighs nearly 180 lbs. even on the smaller model!
- Oklahoma Joe’s offers excellent customer service should you encounter any problems with your smoker
- There’s plenty of room for both large and small cuts so that you can cook even ribs on this unit
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Pro Drum Smoker is a fantastic choice for anyone who wants to invest in their first smoker. It offers excellent value for money with its sturdy construction and lifetime warranty against defects.
This model will give you years of tasty barbecue, and you’ll love cooking on it every time.
The Barrel House Cooker Smoker BHC 18C is a versatile unit that you can use to smoke, grill, and even bake in.
In addition, this model comes with an adjustable burner for better temperature control when cooking different cuts of meat simultaneously!
- Fuel type: charcoal
- Cooking area: 396 sq. in
- Hopper capacity: 8 lbs
- Dimensions: 18 x 24.5 x 35.5 in
- Weight: 45 lbs
- Warranty: 1-year limited
- The unit is relatively easy to clean, and the door has a removable ashtray.
- It’s very sturdy, especially considering that it weighs nearly 45 lbs. even on the smaller model!
- This charcoal smoker comes with a detachable base for more accessible transportation when you need to move your smoker around.
- Barrel House offers excellent customer service should you encounter any problems with your smoker.
- This model is an excellent choice for anyone who needs a smaller charcoal grill that can cook a lot of different cuts, from ribs to pork shoulders.
The Barrel House Cooker Smoker BHC 18C is an excellent option if you need more room inside the unit. It’s easy to clean, and it’s sturdy, so you can be sure that it will last for years.
In addition, the detachable base makes this model a great choice if you need to move your smoker around regularly.
This Po’ Man Charcoal Grill is an excellent choice if you need an affordable smoker that can cook all kinds of cuts.
It comes with two adjustable air vents for better temperature control, and it has enough room to smoke more than 20 pounds of meat at once!
- Fuel type: charcoal
- Cooking area: not specified
- Hopper capacity: 14 lbs
- Dimensions: 16 x 16 x 21 inches
- Weight: 20 lbs
- Material: Steel
- There are a lot of great features for this smoker, but the best in its price. If you’re looking to experiment with smoking meat on an affordable budget, it doesn’t get much better than this.
- Durable steel construction ensures that the unit will last for years to come.
- This smoker is great if you prefer cooking with charcoal over wood, as it has a removable ash pan.
- The price point makes this model an excellent choice if you’re looking to experiment with smoking meat on a budget. The adjustable air vents allow better temperature control than most other models.
- It’s simple to move this smoker from one location to another because of the handles.
The Original Po’ Man Charcoal Grill is an excellent choice if you want to try out smoking meat on an affordable budget. It comes with two air vents for better temperature control, and it offers plenty of space inside the unit so that you can smoke more than 20 pounds of meat at once!
If you want to buy a drum smoker that offers excellent value for money, check out the Pit Barrel Cooker Package from 18-Inch.
It comes with everything you need to start smoking meat, and it has all kinds of features that ensure consistent results every time!
- Power Source: Charcoal
- Color: Black Porcelain enamel coating
- Item Weight: 57 Pounds
- Item Dimensions LxWxH21 x 21 x 31.1 inches
- Fuel Type: Charcoal
- The 18-Inch model comes with two cooking grates and four adjustable vents for better temperature control when you’re smoking meat.
- A built-in thermometer allows you to check the internal temperature without opening the drum. At the same time, its patented design ensures that your fire will burn hot all day long.
- The unit is made from extremely tough steel, and it has a lifetime warranty to cover any manufacturing defects.
Suppose you’re looking for an affordable drum smoker that offers excellent value for money. In that case, the Pit Barrel Cooker Package 18-Inch is one of the best options out there.
It comes with everything you need to start smoking meat, and it has all kinds of features that ensure consistent results with every cook!
What To Look For In The Best Drum Smoker
Here are some things to keep an eye out for when you’re purchasing a drum smoker:
Ease of Use
First and foremost, you’ll want to make sure your smoker is easy to use. It should be simple enough for anyone in the family or even on a camping trip with friends can get their food cooking without fussing over all of the details that some smokers require.
You’ll also want to make sure that your smoker can cook a wide range of foods. For example, suppose you’re looking for an all-in-one solution. In that case, the best drum smoker will be able to do more than just smoked meats like pork and beef; it should even roast vegetables or bake bread!
Size and Capacity
The best drum smoker will also be significant and spacious enough to cook a lot of food. It means that it should have at least three racks, but four or five is even better. It may not seem like an important feature; however, having as much cooking space as possible will become invaluable if you regularly host parties or family gatherings!
Weight can be a pretty important factor as well. Depending on what kind of campfire, grill, or smoker you already own, adding another heavy piece of equipment might not make sense to you. On the other hand, it’s much easier to transport lighter smokers, mainly with wheels or other transportation aids like handlebars!
Since drum smokers are best when they can cook a lot of food at once, you’ll want to make sure that the cooking space is big enough for your needs. The best one will have no problem fitting an entire packer brisket or even a whole pork shoulder! On average, it should work around 25 burgers on each side.
Materials and durability
The best drum smoker is durable materials like stainless steel or cast iron. It will help it last for years and give you the most value for your money! The lid should also be sturdy enough not to warp when exposed to high temperatures, so look for one with a suitable thickness if this is an important feature.
It’s best to choose a drum smoker that has an adjustable temperature. It will let you cook everything from low and slow barbecue up to searing high heat cooking, so your options are nearly endless! For best results, it should be possible for you to go anywhere between 200°F (93°C) and 400°F (204°C) depending on the type of food you’re cooking.
Cover and Sealing System
The best drum smoker will also have a cover that seals it up tightly to lock in all of those sweet smokey flavors! It is crucial if you want your meat to cook evenly throughout without turning or basting it. Best-rated drum smokers come with a sound sealing system that doesn’t let too much smoke out.
Price and Warranty
You’ll want to make sure that your best drum smoker isn’t going to be too much money. For example, if you shop around enough, then $200 should get you a good quality product, even without taking into account any discounts or sales.
You’ll also want to ensure that it comes with some warranty or guarantee, even if you don’t plan to use the manufacturer’s services. If something goes wrong, this will give you peace of mind knowing that your best drum smoker is covered!
With these best drum smokers, you can cook up some fantastic meals with less effort than ever before. Whether you’re smoking ribs or pork shoulders, all of our models come with plenty of room inside the unit so that you never need to worry about whether there will be enough space for your food!