The Pit Boss Austin XL is the epitome of a high-quality grill, delivering unmatched performance and versatility. From its large grilling surface to its unique flame broiler, the Austin XL has everything you need to create a mouthwatering feast for your family and friends.
I’ve had the pleasure of using this grill for many of my cookouts, and let me tell you, it never fails to impress. With its durable construction and innovative features, the Austin XL will become your go-to grill for all outdoor cooking needs.
So, fire up the grill and get ready to enjoy the ultimate grilling experience with the Pit Boss Austin XL Review!
- Pellet Grill with 1000 sq. in. of cooking space
- Digital control board with LED display
- Automatic pellet feed system
- Dual door design for easy access and insulation
- 31 lb hopper capacity
- Porcelain-coated cooking grates for easy cleaning
- 8-in-1 versatile cooking options (grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, BBQ, char-grill, and sear)
- Stainless steel built for durability
- Automatic start-up and shut-off for ease of use
- Adjustable smokestack for smoke control
- Temperature range from 180°F to 500°F
The Pit Boss Austin XL Review
In this part, we’ll go through the details so you can see whether the Pit Boss Austin XL is suitable for your grilling demands.
The smoking performance is excellent since the Pit Boss Austin XL has a wide temperature range. You can sear over an open flame if you want to slow and low cook. You may also use it for baking and roasting meat if that’s what you desire. Some individuals have even utilized it to make a pizza on a pellet grill.
The meat will cook faster and more thoroughly on the Austin XL if you’re able to maintain a higher temperature for longer. Of course, the conditions and weather will determine how fast and high you can grill food on it, like with all pellet smokers. However, the Austin XL can hold up to 31 pounds of food while maintaining a temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-14 hours.
The Grill’s Construction
The powder-coated steel design is stylish and cutting-edge. It’s also quite durable. The grill fits together nicely, which helps it outperform grills because it won’t leak smoke or decrease the temperature of the inner chamber.
Grilling on Pit Boss Austin XL
The essential thing you might be seeking is the grill’s grilling abilities because you’ll be relying on it the majority of the time with the Pit Boss Austin XL. This grill has a high heat level and can also be used over an open flame.
The lid and firebox are both porcelain-coated, which is the highest quality material that you’ll be able to get on any pellet grill. As a result, you can quickly cook anything from burgers and sausages to ribs.
Cleaning the Austin XL
Cleaning was also made simple with this model. The cooking grates are removable, so you could clean them in your sink or dishwasher if need be. Also, suppose they’re not already pre-seasoned when it arrives at your home. In that case, there’s no problem because the seasoning isn’t tricky either. These factors make cleaning easy, even though most people don’t think about its importance until after using their new smoker for a while.
This grill has a superior design constructed of steel and porcelain materials. The good news is that the Austin XL weighs around 180 pounds, which isn’t too bad for a smoker this big. It’s not light nor heavy; it’s just right. The product dimensions are 62 x 25 x 28 inches. So you’ll need to make room, but there won’t be any problems with having enough space for this grill on your patio or backyard if necessary too!
An essential feature of the Pit Boss Austin XL is it’s well-insulated. Because heat loss will affect cooking performance unless properly insulated like most pellet grills tend to be. And then some more insulation was added into its construction as a bonus! This insulation will help keep the temperature stable and high when smoking meat.
Ease of Assembly and Use
The Austin XL is easy to assemble and use. You can start using it in a matter of minutes. Still, it would be best to care when assembling the grill because some small parts may be complex for someone who isn’t very good with tools. The instructions manual will guide you through everything step by step if this happens—and make sure not to lose any pieces!
Customers like how simple the Pit Boss Austin XL is, making things much easier for them during their first few uses. Many grills come without user manuals anymore due to shipping costs and such. If your smoker doesn’t include an owner’s manual, print one off online and follow along as best as possible, and you should be fine.
There’s also a side shelf on the Austin XL, which conveniently puts spices or cooking utensils on while cooking. It’s a pretty nice feature to have too!
The Pit Boss Austin XL price is a little high, but this smoker has an excellent warranty that backs up its quality. You can get a full refund within 30 days if you’re not satisfied with the product too.
- Versatile: With the ability to smoke, bake, roast and grill, the Pit Boss Austin XL provides a range of cooking options for various meals.
- Large Cooking Capacity: With over 1000 sq. in. of porcelain-coated cooking surface, the Pit Boss Austin XL provides ample space for large groups or BBQ entertainment.
- Auto Start/Stop Feature: The Austin XL can be started and stopped automatically, making it convenient anytime.
- Digital Control Board: The digital control board with LED read-out and meat probe makes it easy to monitor the cooking progress.
- Flame Broiler: The innovative flame broiler allows for both direct and indirect grilling, giving you even more options for cooking your favorite foods.
- Slide-out Sear Plate: The slide-out sear plate lets you grill over an open flame for a genuinely authentic wood-fired flavor.
- Temperature Range: With a temperature range of 180°F to 500°F, the Pit Boss Austin XL provides the heat you need to cook your meals perfectly.
- Fueled by 100% All Natural Hardwood Pellets: The Austin XL operates with true fan-forced convection cooking and provides real wood-fired flavor.
- Large Pellet Hopper: With a 31 lb hopper, you can cook for long periods without adding more pellets.
- Stainless Steel Side Table with Removable Serving Tray: The side table provides a convenient space for food prep and serving and can be easily removed for cleaning.
- Price Includes 2 Meat Probes: The two meat probes included with the Austin XL provide accurate temperature readings and display them on the LCD panel.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Pellet Grill
I’d want to start by stating a few things about pellet grills before getting into the specifics of the Pit Boss Austin XL. Hopefully, this information will help you make an informed decision when it comes time to purchase a pellet grill. Before purchasing a pellet grill, think about the following factors:
Can You Sear On It?
When food is subjected to direct intense heat—for example, when a burger hits a hot frying pan or grill grate set over a charcoal or wood fire—it is seared. There is no sudden, violent collision with heat.
Higher-end manufacturers have introduced grills that can reach higher temperatures (up to 650 degrees Fahrenheit). And cook directly over the burn pot on a perforated plate in response to customer demand.
Are they portable?
The most crucial reason pellet smokers are becoming so popular is that they’re more convenient than traditional grills. As a result, they don’t demand as much attention. They can be used like any other grill when set up on the patio or in the backyard (and perhaps covered with a grill cover). In addition, it can work with all of your regular kitchen appliances nearby for convenience.
Is it easy to use?
All pellet cookers produce smoke at some point, even if only during an initial light-up phase before heating thoroughly upwards towards cooking temperature. However, too little smoke flavor results from too low temperatures; too much comes out of over smoked meat, making it tasteless appetizingly good. The key then becomes balancing combustion between fuel and oxygen and controlling the temperature of the fire.
Is it safe to use?
Several safety features should be considered when buying a pellet grill. Still, not all grills come with them as standard equipment. In addition, the size of your cooking area is essential because larger cookers can accommodate more food—and they also make you look like an accomplished chef!
It’s great if you’re planning to smoke multiple racks of ribs or other meats simultaneously. So there’s no worry about losing heat/smoke by opening up this door during long slow cooks.
How much does Pellet Grill cost?
A pellet grill varies depending on the brand and types you choose. If you’re looking for an entry-level smoker, be sure to check out our article “Best Pellet Smoker Under $500”. We have reviewed some great choices there that will help maximize your budget.
What Foods Can You Cook On A Pellet Grill?
Just about any food that you’d cook on a traditional grill or stove is suitable for cooking in a pellet smoker. It’s important to note, though, that not every one of these grills will be able to smoke and sear simultaneously—some come with just one heating element. In contrast, others can have two components (one on each side) for a total of four.
Is it easy to maintain?
Most pellet smokers’ most significant challenge is maintaining the temperature inside the setpoint range. But, even when they do, it’s not for long periods, which is why you should take note that you’ll have to refill the hopper every time you want to smoke something.
Is it easy to assemble?
Most pellet smokers are pretty easy to put together. The difficulty comes in when you need to use the unit for cold smoking, which is an advanced technique that requires some trial and error. If you’re not up for it, then go with a more traditional grill that can still meet your needs without the extra work.
- The weight of the Pit Boss Austin XL may make it challenging to move around, especially for those who need help.
- The assembly process can be time-consuming and may require additional tools.
- The grill may consume more pellets compared to other models in the market, potentially leading to higher operating costs.
What Can You Cook With Pit Boss Austin XL
- Perfectly smoked brisket
- Slow-roasted pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches
- Delicious and juicy turkey for your holiday meal
- Grilled steaks with a crispy crust and juicy center
- Wood-fired pizza with a crispy crust and melted cheese
- Ribs with a sweet and tangy BBQ glaze
- Char-grilled vegetables with a smoky flavor
- Tasty and crispy fish fillets
- Homemade bread with a crusty exterior and soft interior
- Desserts such as apple pies and baked Alaska with a crisp meringue.
The Pit Boss Austin XL provides the versatility to cook all these dishes and more, making it the perfect choice for outdoor cooking. With its high-temperature range and wood pellet fuel, you’ll experience the authentic wood-fired flavor in every dish you prepare.
Whether you’re a seasoned BBQ expert or a beginner, the Pit Boss Austin XL has you covered. So fire up the grill and let your taste buds be the judge!
I am thrilled that the Austin XL Wood Pellet Grill is a top-performing machine that delivers on all fronts. This grill is designed with the outdoor cooking enthusiast in mind, offering a wide range of temperature control, a large cooking surface, and versatile grilling options. The Austin XL is the perfect addition to your outdoor cooking setup, whether you are a seasoned pro or starting.
With its robust construction, reliable performance, and unbeatable value, it’s no wonder that the Austin XL is quickly becoming a top choice among grillers everywhere. So why wait? Join the Pit Boss family today and start experiencing the best in wood-fired flavor and versatility.